NRA Basic Rifle Shooting Course
Norwalk, CT 06852-0911
Key Largo, FL 33037-9151
A rifle is a long gun designed to be fired with two hands. It has a rifled bore (thus the name “rifle”) and is designed to shoot a specific size of ammunition. Rifles are often used in game hunting and in long range marksmanship competitions, as well as in tactical situations.
In the Basic Rifle course, students will get the NRA's The Basics of Rifle Shooting handbook and intensive lessons in safety, gun handling, fundamentals of rifle shooting, several practical exercises on the firing range, cleaning, storage, and a summary of rifle sports and activities.
“To teach the basic knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary for the safe use of a rifle in target shooting.”
1. Rifle Knowledge and Safe Handling
2. Ammunition Knowledge and Fundamentals of Rifle Shooting
3. Firing the First Shots (includes cleaning and storage)
4. Standing Rifle Shooting Positions
5. Prone and Kneeling Rifle Shooting Positions
6. Sitting Rifle Shooting Positions
Students will receive feedback on the live-fire exercises and a course certificate upon successful completion of the lessons. There is a short written test on the lesson material at the end of the classroom portion of the course.
THE EMERGENCY RESPONSE
TRAINING CENTER LLC